Pet care is always the top of the list of things to sort out during the holiday travel season. Many times pet owners have to forego travel altogether due to concern over who will take proper care of their pets. Rover.com, a new lifesaving service that pairs local dog and cat sitters with pet owners is such a great idea that I wish I had thought of it first. I plan to try it out for Bodhi this holiday season. There are so many great things about this service. There is 24-7 emergency telephone customer support, if your sitter cannot watch your pet then Rover will find you a suitable replacement, and vet bills are covered up to $25,000 with after a $250 deductible. Here are some tips to help you pick the best sitter for your pet:
Sync with Your Sitter:
- Express your own expectations for your pet’s stay
- Read the Reviews: To learn how a sitter is likely to care for your dog, read those reviews and testimonials from the sitter’s former clients or community members
- Schedule a Meet & Greet with your pet and your sitter. If the sitter has a dog too, consider meeting at a local park so that neither dog will feel territorial
- Observe: Have the sitter walk or play with your dog to observe their interaction
- Insurance: Consider selecting a sitter service or program with built-in insurance. For example, Rover.com’s premium insurance covers your dog’s health, the owner’s property, and your professional liability
Tips for Travel:
- For Stays in the Sitter’s Home: Tell the sitter when you would like to drop off/pick up your dog
- For Stays in Your Home: Tell the sitter whether you prefer them to stay overnight or just visit during the day
- Homey Comforts: Make sure the sitter has your dog’s food, blankets, toys, commands, furniture, and medications
- Communicate: Talk to your sitter and request your preferred method of check-ins while you’re away and how often you’d like them. Nothing will put your mind at ease like regular updates and pictures!
Provide Your Sitter With Thorough Feedback To Help Other Pet Owners:
Share a review or testimonial on your sitter to help prospective clients and community members find a great sitter for their furry friend.