Happy Memorial Day! NYC has been unseasonably cool but, at least, the last two days have been sunny. So spark up those grills and make these yummy burgers!
Red, White and Bleu Burger
(Recipe via Philly-Gourmet)
Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 20 mins
3 red bell peppers
1⁄4 cup olive oil
2 large sweet white onions, sliced in thin strips or rings
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1⁄2 cup crumbled bleu cheese
1⁄2 cup Philadelphia cream cheese
6 hamburger buns
- Prepare grill for high-heat cooking.
- Roast the peppers over the grill, turning every 3 minutes so that the skin blisters and turns black all over the peppers. Set peppers aside in a bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap so they can steam. When cool enough to handle, rub the blackened skin off the peppers. Cut the peppers open and remove the veins and seeds. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pan over the grill or heat a regular sauté pan on the stove top. Heat the olive oil until hot but not smoking. Cook the onions slowly over medium heat for 10 minutes. In the last minute of cooking, stir in the chopped garlic.
- In a bowl, stir together the bleu cheese and the cream cheese until blended.
- Grill the burgers 3 minutes on each side or until the meat reaches desired doneness. Just before burgers are done cooking, toast the hamburger buns on the grill.
- Spread the bleu cheese mixture over both sides of each bun. Serve the burgers on the buns topped with half a roasted pepper, grilled onions and serve with American Flag napkins!