From beauty bloggers to Instagram influencers, it seems long, flowing hair is everywhere today. Fortunately, the look can be yours, too: hair extensions have never been so accessible. It’s easier than ever to add volume, colour, and length to your hair, so it’s no wonder why everyone is rushing out to buy their own set. But, before you do, here are five things you should consider when purchasing hair extensions.
1. What Types Of Hair Extensions Do You Want?
If you’ve already started your search, you may have discovered that there are many different types of hair extensions on the market. To narrow down your search, the first question you need to ask yourself is whether you’re after a more permanent option, or something you can pop in and out as you choose.
Semi-Permanent options include:
- Microbead extensions: Hair is applied to your hair in small beads that go unnoticed.
- Keratin fusion extensions: One of the most natural options, strands are keratin bonded to your hair seamlessly.
- Weft extensions: Small copper tubes are applied to your hair and last up to two months.
Removable options include:
- Clip-in extensions: Available in shades ranging from platinum blonde to black, Zala clip-in hair extensions are among the most diverse options out there and so easy to use. Simply select the right length and colour, then clip in the wefts to your natural hair.
- Halo extensions: Halo human hair extensions are new to the market and offer a game-changing solution for anyone with a busy lifestyle. They are sewn into a transparent thread which can be laid directly onto your hair.
- Tape-in hair extensions: Each panel is about two inches wide and can be applied directly to your hair. These are a semi-permanent option that can stay in for about 10 days.
2. How To Choose The Right Hair Type
Next, you need to have a think about your ideal hair type. On the cheaper end of the scale is a synthetic style, which is made from plastic. These work well when you are looking for a non-permanent option, but can’t compare to the quality of human hair. They can’t be styled with hot tools as they’ll melt when heat is applied, and since they don’t look as natural, they’ll stand out more. Human hair is your best option, as it will last longer and mimic your natural hair. Human Remy hair is one of the most popular choices, as it can be styled any way you like.
3. What Length Are You After?
Some people are after hair extensions for volume, others for length, and some seek a bit of both. It’s important to determine what length you want to achieve before purchasing. Lengths can range from 12 inches to 30 inches. It’s best to check out a size guide to give you the best idea of the perfect length for your hair goals.
4. What Are Your Needs?
Next, consider your daily routine. Do you exercise frequently and work up a sweat? Are you in water a lot? These factors all need to be considered when choosing the type of hair extensions that will suit you best. You may need extra treatments if your hair extensions are getting wet and sweaty on a regular basis.
5. Do You Have Time To Commit?
Whether you’re considering blonde hair extension clips, black halo extensions, or anything in between, it’s important to think about the time needed for ongoing maintenance. Fortunately, extensions don’t require much more maintenance than your natural hair. Ideally, they’ll need to be washed regularly and receive a deep conditioning treatment once a week. This is because unlike your natural hair, they aren’t getting the oils to keep them hydrated. Keeping them detangled and storing them will also help to extend their lifespan.
Ultimately, hair extensions are a great investment that will serve you well. They give you a boost in volume and length, and also allow you to experiment with highlights and other looks. As long as you do your research and decide which style and colour will fit your needs, extensions are an investment that you’ll continue to enjoy over time.