I am mad for Judith Wendell, the founder of SACRED CURRENTS; a company dedicated to creating vital and thriving environments. I asked her could I run her amazing article forecasting what the Year of The Rat 4717 has to offer!
January 25, 2020 – February 1, 2021
The following information is compiled from a large group of resources and there are many (sometimes conflicting) interpretations on the year ahead. Yet sometimes differing interpretations can help us better understand the year.
For those of us less familiar with the Chinese Zodiac, it is made up of 12 animal signs and 5 elements, comprising a 60-year cycle. The first day of Chinese New Year begins on the new moon that appears between January 21st and February. 20th. In 2020, the first day of the Lunar New Year will be on Saturday, January 25th, initiating the Year of the Metal RAT which ends February 11th, 2021.
Ancient lore says, the Jade Emperor invited all of the animals in the world to join him for the New Year celebration, but only 12 animals bothered to turn up. As a great reward, he named a year after each one of them and they run in the order that the animals arrived to celebrate. The Rat tricked the Ox into giving him a ride. Then, just as they arrived at the finish line, the Rat jumped down and landed ahead of Ox, becoming first. This parable should start to offer you some insight of the charm and entrepreneurial spirit of the Rat.
Crystal Chu Rinpoche says in her yearly almanac, “According to Black Sect Esoteric Buddhism’s perspective on the study of folk culture, ‘Bees collect nectar from myriads of flowers and humans eat the honey; oxen till the field and rats chew on the grain.’”
The Rat has the good luck of achieving results without having to work for them, thus we must take advantage of the Rat’s good fortune to prevent any adverse circumstances that may arise this year.”
As you’ll read below and in your individual forecast, our own efforts and actions will ultimately create the foundation for our protection and success.
General Indicators for this Year
- This year’s heavenly stem is Metal and the earthly branch is Water in the 60-year cycle. As Metal creates Water, on the surface 2020 should be a smooth year. (Read about the qualities of the 5 Elements – Water, Wood, Fire, Earth, and Metal here SacredCurrents.com/about-feng-shui/about-elements).
- In Chinese culture, Rats were seen as a sign of wealth and surplus. Because of their reproduction rate, married couples prayed to them for children.
- Rats have a ‘split personality’ because the hours of the Rat encompass both Yin and Yang (11PM-1AM). They also have four front fingers (Yin) and their back paws have five toes (Yang), making them versatile and adaptive.
- As the first of the zodiac animals, the Rat ushers in a cycle of renewal. As Water is the natural element of the Rat, it can purport pessimism and fear. Hence, there may be uncertainty for global investors in 2020 in what may become a bearish market.
- As the elements of Fire and Earth are not represented by this year’s zodiac they will be the ones to be in demand and succeed. This is because Fire conquers Metal, and Earth overcomes Water. Thus industries represented by Fire and Earth, including energy, entertainment, real estate, land development, mining, insurance and technology, will have the greatest chance to profit.
- The industries represented Water and Wood elements have less fortunate luck. These include the Water industries of shipping, transportation, and communication and the Wood industries of fashion, media, books, and the environment.
- Conditions between countries may not improve much this year. In fact, some of the world’s most offensive leaders, as well as areas of conflict and natural disasters, may, unfortunately, worsen during 2020.
Prior to the Lunar New Year, it is a good idea for all of us to ‘clear house’ both physically and metaphorically.
- In other words clean up outstanding debts, issues and generally complete things before the lunar New Year. The Chinese literally sweep their homes clean, taking out all the bad karma from the year out the door.
- All signs will do well to perform the ‘Golden Cicada Sheds Its Shell’ ritual, along with ‘Welcoming in the Wealth God’ and ‘Changing the Chi of the Environment.’
- I have suggested the zodiac signs that will benefit the most from performing the Golden Cicada Ritual for protection and shedding karma, in the thumbnail predictions below. But all signs do well to perform it.Each zodiac animal has its own qualities that are consistent year to year. However, every sign will be influenced by the Rat’s energy this year. Below are some insights for each zodiac animal in 2020. Please note that fortunes can be reduced or enhanced with Feng Shui, rituals, meditations and transcendental adjustments and that all people have their own karma to consider. Remember too that even the luckiest signs (the Ox, Monkey, and Dragon this year), have their cautions and the unluckiest (the Horse, Ram, and Rabbit) have their bright spots.
- According to Flying Star Feng Shui, the Northwest is where the wealth star (the 8 star) is residing in 2020. This area will be enhanced with activity, a Water element or something moving like a kinetic sculpture or wind chimes. This will activate the area which represents our ‘benefactors’ and is a Metal element (Metal produces Water i.e. movement).
- Other stars that are significant in Flying Star methodology is the 5 Yellow Earth Star, which can be the cause of instability and misfortune and is located in the East this year.I put a ‘salt cure’ there but others hang a 6-rod metal wind chime to dissolve the energy (Metal depletes Earth). When analyzing an environment with Flying Star Feng Shui there are always two other 5 star positions that are permanent to every floor plan, and where I also put salt cures. In general, these areas should be kept calm and quiet.
- The 2 star, symbolizes sickness and is in the South in 2020. The traditional method to dissolve this 2 star is to hang a string of six metal coins in the South. A metal sculpture will do too.
- The “Grand Duke” is in the Northwest this year and it’s recommended that no substantial construction work be done in this direction.
- The “Three Killings” is in the South this year and it’s best not to sit with your back in that direction. Subdue any negative vibes by hanging 3 metal bells in the South.
- The 3 star representing conflict and misunderstanding is in the North in 2020. Perhaps a peace plant would work well there or a picture of a benevolent person or deity. North is also home to ‘the Grand Duke’ this year and it is recommended that no substantial construction work be done in this direction.
- The 7 star representing scandals and robbery is in the center of the environment or the Tai Chi this year.9 pieces of bamboo in water will help to protect the center of your home which represents physical, emotional and spiritual well being.
INSIGHTS FOR THE 12 CHINESE ZODIAC ANIMALS:
RAT – 1912, 1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, 2008, 2020
Rats are charming creatures with a large dose of intelligence. They are independent and have a sharp eye for detail, making them well suited to the fields of art and writing, as well as engineering and architecture. They are warm-hearted and opportunistic and at times stubborn perfectionists. Rats have a great ability to be adaptive problem solvers.
Although one’s own zodiac year is traditionally the most unfortunate (due to the fact that you’re ‘sitting atop of the year god’), 2020 will go reasonably well for the Metal Rat. Keep a low profile knowing that success will come to your career. Yet, your health and relationships will prove to have challenges. Take a preemptive approach with your health and establish an open environment for all of your relationships. The year will have its issues, but doing the Golden Cicada Ritual on 3 consecutive nights starting on New Year’s Eve – the 24th of January, will turn misfortune into auspiciousness.
Carrying either your best friend the Ox or your 3 harmony companions the Monkey & Dragon talismans, will help support your good fortunes this year. All three are your most compatible signs.
OX – 1913, 1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009
The Ox is dependable, earnest & conservative. They work logically and hard to accomplish the goal. They generally don’t form many close relationships but are reliable, loving partners. They can be conservative, logical, yet sometimes display tempers.
This is a good year to develop better communication skills to benefit all of your professional and personal relationships. Being in six harmony with and the closest friend to the Rat, brings good professional opportunities in 2020, as well as financial gains and unexpected gifts. However, be mindful of your health as to not become exhausted.
You’re also compatible with the Rooster and Snake. Carrying a talisman of your best friend the Rat, will keep you in good stead in 2020.
TIGER – 1914, 1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974, 1986, 1998, 2010
The wonderfully intense vitality of the Tiger makes you both passionate and optimistic. Tigers can easily sway a crowd but its best if they avoid extremes. They are born leaders but need to listen as much as they take charge.
The year of the Rat should be mostly auspicious for your career and finances by keeping impulses and temper under control. Paying careful attention to your communications will bode well for both interpersonal and business relationships. Take especially good care of your health and wellbeing. Carrying a talisman of an Ox – the Rat’s best friend – will keep you in his good graces. The most compatible signs for the Tiger are the Pig, Dog, and Horse.
RABBIT – 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011
Rabbits are kind, graceful and sensitive. Sometimes overly sensitive to criticism. They have good judgment in business and in general.
In 2020, there may be some confrontation from what the Chinese refer to as ‘scoundrels’. The luck of female rabbits is better than their male counterparts. Avoid risks, gossip and rumors to guard your reputation. Overall, it could be a good year for social interactions and new love, but be watchful of emotional stressors.
The best partners for the Rabbit are the Rams, Dogs and Pigs. It is suggested you carry an Ox to be in the good graces of the Rat this year.
DRAGON – 1916, 1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012
The intelligent, energetic Dragon has high standards for themselves and others and when they are not too demanding, they have the potential to accomplish great things. They don’t accept defeat easily and will come to your rescue when in need.
As you are in 3-Harmony with the Rat and Monkey in 2020, it should be a good time to fulfill your dreams, be happy, travel and excel in your career. Although strong and healthy, make sure you take time to recharge at home to avoid exhaustion. A romantic relationship is not the focus this year, as this is a time of independence. Use your energy for inner focus and remain humble while helping others.
Your most compatible signs are the Monkey, Rats and Snakes. Carry a Rat or Rat & Monkey this year for good luck.
SNAKE – 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001, 2013
The Snake is known for its passion, talents, tenacity, and is fortunate in having most of its needs met. They are always planning and are known for being alert and observant.
Your luck is stable in 2020. It should be a creative year with many opportunities. Yet pay close attention to your finances and be flexible in your career. It will be a happy time with family and friends and may be a good year to find a romantic partner, if you are single. Take time for your health maintenance.
The best partners for Snakes are Oxen, Roosters, and Dragons. The Rat, Monkey & Dragon, and Ox, are all your talismans this year and will protect you.
HORSE – 1918, 1930, 1942, 1954, 1966, 1978, 1990, 2002, 2014
The Horse is a social, optimistic and non-conforming animal. Their changeable nature needs plenty of stimulation. Happiness is more of a motivation than wealth or fame. They can anger quickly but quick to forgive and forget.
Your luck this year is less than good due to the fact that you are in a direct clash with the year god or Rat. It will be a restless and demanding year for life lessons. Careful planning and emotional prudence are helpful for a feeling of control. Rely on helpful advice from friends and co-workers. Know that your inner strength will allow you to overcome most difficulties. In addition, random acts of kindness will combat misfortune. It is advised that you do the Golden Cicada Ritual mentioned above for 3 consecutive nights starting on New Year’s eve.
The Horse is most compatible with the Tiger, Dog, and Ram. It is best to carry the Dragon & Monkey, the 2 animals in harmony with the Rat, as they will soften the effects of the year.
RAM – 1919, 1931, 1943, 1955, 1967, 1979, 1991, 2003, 2015
The Ram is a sensitive, good-natured and creative animal. The good seminarian of the zodiac yet can also be uncommunicative. They preserve through difficulties, having high tolerance and motivation.
The Ram and Rat are not the best of friends, however, some lucky stars help you to divert most difficulties. There may be lots of accomplishments this year if things are handled in an organized manner. It is not the best year of marriage or partnership however family life is positive. Take especially good care of your health this year. It is recommended to do the Golden Cicada Ritual (see above) on 3 consecutive nights starting on New Year’s Eve.
The Ram’s most compatible allies are the Horse, Pig, Rabbit and Tiger. Carrying an Ox, or a Monkey & Dragon this year will be supportive.
MONKEY – 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004, 2016
Versatile Monkeys use their lively, clever and ambitious personalities to their advantage. They can do most things well and no challenge is too great for them. As a result, they can be arrogant – yet, they view everyone as a teacher and willing to listen to critique and learn from their mistakes.
The new year brings both good luck and misfortune to Monkeys. It is an outstanding year to regain enthusiasm and determination, Your inspired ideas can yield recognition and financial gain. Share worries and problems in order to release anxieties. Meditate and exercise to manage stress and maintain good health.
Your good friends are the Dragon and Rat but Monkeys are very much in demand, only the Snakes and Tigers do well to avoid them. So carry a Rat, or Rat & Dragon to take advantage of your 3 harmony relationship for good fortune this year.
ROOSTER – 1921, 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993, 2005, 2017
The Rooster is a talkative perfectionist who is known for directness and hard work. They need to keep their emotions in check especially around other Roosters as they can be terrifying if angered.
his year has some mixed blessings. Your career could flourish with focus and determination. Although it is not a good year to change jobs or professions. Your social life and family time will be very satisfying. Stay level headed and peaceful in all situations. This will help to maintain your health and career.
Your compatible signs are the Snake, Ox and Dragon. You should carry an Ox or Dragon & Monkey for good fortune and protection.
DOG – 1910, 1922, 1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982, 1994, 2006, 2018
Dogs are loyal and likable, intelligent and morally sound. They are diplomatic in all their dealings but if that fails you may get to see their lovely teeth. Dogs are not materialistic but always provide for their loved ones.
Although there are some ups and downs this year, in general, your career advances and with careful planning finances are good. Stay watchful for good opportunities as they will appear quickly and pass. Love, marriage and pregnancy are all well aspected this year.
Dogs are compatible with the Horse, Rabbit and Tiger. Carrying a Rat will keep you in good stead.
PIG – 1911, 1923, 1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983, 1995, 2007, 2019
The intelligent, generous and likable Pig is a pleasure seeker who is not opposed to hard-work. Pigs seek universal harmony, and sometimes can be overly generous or promise more than they can deliver.
As one’s own zodiac year is known to bring misfortune, it is a big relief to be past 2019. This year your career and/or business could get a boost and there will be benefactors around to support you. Hard work in the first half of the year will certainly pay off. It is an excellent year for romantic partnerships.
You are most compatible with Rabbits, Rams and Tigers. Carrying a Rat will keep you protected.
For more specific adjustments and/or personalized recommendations for your astrology and/or floor plan, call or email Judith for more information about a phone or onsite consultation. Individual adjustments can be acquired through Sacred Currents by sending 9 Red Envelopes with $2 in each – $18 in total, & a self-addressed white envelope to: Sacred Currents, c/o Judith Wendell, 11 East 88th Street 7D, NYC, NY 10128
(Please note: The “Golden Cicada Sheds Its Shell” requires cinnabar. Please include an additional $9 ($27 total) if you want it sent with the ritual.)
About Judith Wendell
Judith offers her expertise to corporate and private clients alike. She is equally at home advising on large business premises or small studio apartments – working comfortably from architectural drawings or on-site.
Judith holds a 3 year accredited degree from the BTB Feng Shui Professional Training Program, formed at the request of Professor Lin Yun, distinguished philosopher and foremost authority on Feng Shui.
When working with a client she incorporates her knowledge of Flying Star Feng Shui, Space Clearing, Bau-biologie, Nine Star Ki, The I-Ching and Chinese Astrology, which she has studied with some of the world’s most renowned teachers in their field. Judith particularly focuses on clearing and blessing rituals, which are so important for the effectiveness of any Feng Shui adjustments.
Judith has completed courses of study in Neurosensory Development with the Downing Institute in San Francisco, and advanced courses at the Academy of Sound, Color and Movement in Domaine des Courmettes, France. Judith attended the School of Practical Philosophy in New York for 16 years, where meditation and study of the great spiritual traditions are emphasized. She holds a BS in Fashion Merchandising and has enjoyed a prosperous career in marketing and product development.
Judith brings her lifelong interest in interior design and architecture to her work, recognizing that beauty and order are integral to well-being. She is available for residential, corporate and retail consultations worldwide. Judith holds Red Ribbon Professional Status from the International Feng Shui Guild, which upholds the highest standards for Feng Shui Professionals by distinguishing excellence in training.