2010 was an amazing year for TGATP! I met, worked with, and had support from some truly amazing people including: Montel Williams, who was a great inspiration on the health front, Michael Caine, a legend and a hoot and a holler to interview, PR Doyenne Terrie Williams and socialite and author Susan Fales-Hill, who became TGATP role models and supporters, Tyler Perry, one of my heroes for his rags to riches story, major sweetheart Drake, who posed specially for TGATP on his video set with Spike Lee, legendary photog John Morris, who gave my jaded heart new hope since he fell in love and remarried at 90, TGATP fav designer Cynthia Rowley, model/business women Veronica Webb, Rebecca Romijn, Miranda Kerr, Molly Sims, Debbie Dickinson, and Pat Cleveland, who are all tons of fun, great business women, and stand up Gals, the dynamic, talented, and eccentric duo Reuben and Isabel Toledo, witty and gracious Molly Ringwald, Kelly Cutrone, who proved to be a real sweetheart under all that tough exterior, June Ambrose, one of the most stylish women I know and a real cool gal, Salma Hayek, who was as beautiful as she is gracious, Ted Danson, a real gent, dapper local newscasters David Ushery and DeMarco Morgan, who flirted but didn’t follow up, Judge Mathis, who cut a mean rug at the “Just Wright” premiere, Kristen Johnston and Leelee Sobieski, who kindly jumped back out of a cab to pose for TGATP, a very self effacing Kirsten Scott Thomas and hottie Aaron Johnson from “Nowhere Boy”, Harrison Ford, who was so humble he ate lunch in the press area, America Ferrara, who is a beauty in person with her fiance Ryan Piers Williams and friend and co-star Wilmer Valderrama, Nole Marin, who was a great party collaborator and always brings out the very silliest and outrageous in me, and tons more!
I also got to meet and experience some mega talented new artists, including Jamie McLean, Tamarama, Si Cranstoun, V.V.Brown and Janelle Monae. And of course, it was awesome to see TGATP favorites, Estelle, Sean Paul, Elvis Costello, John Legend, Mary J. Blige, and Robin Thicke perform again this year. 2010 was also a year of catching up with ole’ musical chums/affairs. What a major delight it was to see UB40, The Hothouse Flowers, The Roots, Living Colour, The Traveling Band, Sandra St. Victor, and George Clinton and P-Funk All Stars and relive the musical and backstage scene from a sober perspective. (Only sorry I didn’t catch Teena Marie and P-Funk guitarist Gary Shider again before they left this realm.) It was always a pleasure to see my favorite reality couple Alex McCord (look for my interview with Alex in upcoming posts) and her hubby Simon Van Kempen out and about throughout the year. In a sea of annoying, over self inflated reality personalities, these two are a nice couple with a normal family and a lack of diva like attitude. This year, I also met the amazing Somaly Mam, who was sold into slavery as a child and is now a tireless warrior in the battle to end child sex trafficking. And finally, I even got to meet and ask the Dalai Lama a question this year, which was a definite TGATP forever moment!
Business wise, TGATP had a wonderfully expansive year venturing into product coverage and holding our first event, the “I Survived Fashion Week” party with major sponsorship from Logitech and the support of tons of other companies listed below. I also traveled to Mexico for the first time at the very end of 2010. Look for my travel piece on the gorgeous Grand Velas Riveria Maya in the next couple of weeks.
In 2011, TGATP looks forward to a further expansion into event planning and event photography, as well as, some exciting new additions to the site and innovative event and marketing collaborations with media outlets and major corporations.
On the personal level, 2010 saw me become a complete teetotaler. But I picked up a raving sugar addiction, which is the top of my to kick list for 2011! So if you see me at an event stuffing my face with multiple desserts, please call Promises!
Below a review of the best parties and events of 2010:
Best Big Parties
- Malibu Radio Boom Boom Party – A fabulous night of great food in a stunning summer setting with not one, but two, mini concerts from hottie sweetheart Sean Paul and TGATP BFF and R&B sensation, Estelle!
- Gotham Magazine Holiday Party/Bowlmor Times Square Opening – Hosted by John Legend and his lady , this party was kicking with 50 lanes of bowling in a bowling alley/NY theme park!
- Hugo Boss Beat the Heat Party – Partying under the summer stars with, not one, but again, two mini concerts from the showstopping Janelle Monae and an uber sexy Robin Thicke. My first time seeing Janelle who left me breathless!
- Heineken Inspire NYC – A three-day extravaganza with guitar lessons from Fender, silk screened tee shirts, a gaming area, carnival food, the DJ wizardry of DK Atrak, and of course, tons of Heinies.
- Carrera Summer Escape Weekend – Carerra knocked it out of the park again with a relaxing weekend full of sun and fun. Featured sounds from DJ Mia Moretti with sidekick Caitlin Moe, silk screening, and manis.
- Star Chefs Rising Stars Gala – Was in New Jersey during a rainstorm, so the attendance was not as big as last year’s. However, this just made it easier to get to the amazing tasting plates and wine paring, The after party at Nuela was a jam-packed blast.
- 100th Anniversary of WWD – Filled with all of the most glittering faces in Fashion with DJ Cassidy on the decks, this was a night to remember.
Best Smaller Affairs
- Montel Williams Healthmaster Dinner – A delicious four-course raw food dinner with host and TGATP fav Montel Williams.
- Forever 21 Fifth Avenue Press Breakfast – Day before opening shopping event with a full breakfast.
- Liberty of London for Target Press Breakfast – First dibs at tons of beautiful Liberty of London products with breakfast.
- Ann Taylor Loft Previews – Always chic with cocktails, great food, and lovely necklaces in the gift bags. Best was the Ace Hotel with a performance by UK singer, V.V. Brown.
- Innovation Norway Party – Boy, can the Norwegians party! This fete held at TGATP favorite venue, Ramscale Studios, rocked with an appearance by Madcon and catering from the wacky Flying Culinary Circus.
- Swatch New Gent Launch – Grooving to the funky spins of DJ Mia Moretti with great food and a brand new Swatch in the goodie bag.
- Cynthia Rowley Band-Aid Luncheon – Lovely luncheon served in the elegant gardens of the Cooper-Hewitt Museum.
- FlipMe Launch – Fun new dating aid launched with a wonderful rooftop party.
- Nescafe Brunch with Stephen Saint-Onge at the Robert Verdi Lounge – Yummy breakfast to launch great new product, the Dolce Gusto, one cup coffee maker.
- TGATP I Survived Fashion Week Party – Our first event sponsored by Logitech, co-hosted by the enigmatic Nole Marin, and catered by Tastings makes the list since it was a blast to plan and execute. TGATP was honored to have the support of Grayce by Molly Sims, Dr. Miracle’s, Boom Boom Cards, Oasis Day Spa, Wooloot watches, Moroccanoil, Zestra, Sleek MedSpa, Crunch, Gnosis Chocolate, Kind Bars, Pop Chips, raw food expert Danny David, and Robert Ferranti Pastries in creating a relaxing afternoon, end of Fashion Week, chill.
Best Charity Events
- ABT Opening Night Gala – One of the most glittering nights of the year with NY’s hoi-est of polloi in stunning gowns. A breathtaking performance followed by a delectable dinner and tons of dancing. My best night of the year!
- We Are Family Gala – Cocktails, three-course dinner, and performances from Jackson Browne, Steven Van Zandt and a cull concert from Nile Rodgers and Chic. Perfection!
- Make-A-Wish Foundation Gala – My favorite charity gave a wonderful gala with an innovative lamp lighting auction and tons of dancing.
- Julliard Tribute to President Dr. Joseph Polisi – Since I was classically trained on violin in my youth, there is a special place in my heart for the Julliard School and it was an honor to attend this year’s gala and dinner.
- Women’s Day 7th Annual Red Dress Awards – Sponsored by Women’s Day and Campbell Soup this event featured a riveting performances from Mary J. Blige and Anthony Hamilton.
- Fashion Night Out – Sponsored by Vogue, a gazillion shopping parties all over NYC on the night before Fashion Week. My evening was amazing with performances by Bryan Adams and a full concert by Corrine Bailey Rae.
- ICP Infinity Awards – Wonderful dinner and awards ceremony. Met my hero Christiane Amanpour and the wonderfully, bubbly John Morris.
- Passport to Summer Brooklyn Botanical Gardens – Beautiful dinner and dancing in the gardens.
- 5th Annual Fashion Delivers Gala – Cocktails, dinner, and an appearance by Madonna!
- Dockers for Habitat for Humanity – Featuring the sounds of Nicole Ritchie‘s new hubby, DJ Joel Madden this party rocked. Guests were also treated to a pair of Dockers customized with spray paint and sanding! Mad cool!
- Organic Elegance – Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of the Continuum Center for Health and Healing with a dinner at the lovely Espace and a performance by long time TGATP favorite, Elvis Costello.
Best Food Events
- Star Chefs Congress –A foodie extravaganza with classes and tastings culminating in a rocking gala with the best food and wine pairings of the year.
- Food Fete – Wonderful host Jeff Davis brings us tons of great exhibitors and the best food goody bag of the year.
- USTA Taste of Tennis – Tennis pros, celeb chefs, tastings from dozens of restaurants and DJ Mos.
- Telluride Ski Resort at Saveur Kitchen – Even a rainy night, couldn’t keep the guests away from the incredible menu at this great soiree! Can’t wait to experience this again in Telluride. Guests were sent home with the recipes, which is always a great touch.
- Maison du Chocolat – The Madison Avenue branch of the extraordinary chocolatier from Paris, France gave an open house to celebrate their new eclairs complete with all the free chocolate that guests and the public could consume! I went into chocolate coma!
- Taste of Hyatt – Tons of food tastings from the Hyatt chefs and they even had non-alcoholic beer!
Best Cultural Affairs
- The Metropolitan Opera Guild Luncheon – Honoring opera legend Frederica Von Stade, a wonderful lunch and program.
- The Collegiate Chorale Spring Benefit – Enchanting evening featuring a full course dinner followed by a performance by Ted Sperling and an assortment of his friends and colleagues, including 2005 Tony Award winner Victoria Clarke.
Best Fashion Week Lounges
- Victoria’s Secret – All day mega lounge right across the street from Lincoln Center. Featured oxygen facials that took ten years off guests’ faces, makeup applications, manis, breakfast and lunch plus a gift bag full of panties and the new fragrance Bombshell!
- Lia Sophia – Nice and astute PR people took guests through the red carpet selection and kitted us out with some bling.
- Spanx Lounge – Cute suite, fun PR girls, and guests were sent home with an assortment of Spanx products.
- Robert Verdi Lounge – A wonderful doggy themed Sunday brunch for guests and their adorable pooches was the weekend highlight of the lounge.
Best Public Store Opening
- Esprit on 34th St. – Opened with a bang. Cocktail party with Macy Gray two nights in advance for press and special guests and $100 gift cards to first 150 people in line on opening day!
Honorable mentions: These parties were almost perfect except for one faux pas, so get a mention.
- Matthew Williamson for Belvedere Pink Grapefruit Pop-Up – Despite a messy door situation, this Meatpacking District fete was a fun party with a great crowd.
- Zac Posen for Target – Masquerade themed party with two rousting sets from the Like, this was a nearly perfectly executed shopping/party event. Two drawbacks were the lack of gift cards and that it opened to the general public on the same night.
- Metropolitan Museum Young Members Gala – Held in the museum with drinks on the roof on a beautiful summer evening. Major faux pas was the inexplicable assignment of escorts for the press, which was intrusive and unnecessary.