- That Girl At the Party
- May 27, 2016
Make Jess Pyrles’ Big Red BBQ Glaze For Memorial Day
Last night, TGATP was blessed to try out the Big Red BBQ Glaze created by cook, writer and TV Personality Jess Pyrles at my new favorite spot, Hill Country Barbeque (30 West 26th St b/tw Broadway and 6th). Jess created an authentic Barbecue experience featuring the perfect combination of savory and sweet with Big Red Soda, America’s original and bestselling red soda, and BBQ from Hill Country Barbecue Market, an NYC restaurant inspired by the Hill Country of Texas with the best BBQ this side of the Mississippi River.
Quite simply this is the best BBQ sauce I have ever had. Below is the recipe for Jess’ “Big Red BBQ Rib Glaze” so you can recreate the experience at home. And if you are in NY, mosey on down to Hill Country to try it out for yourself.
Big Red BBQ Rib Glaze
Recipe by Jess Pryles
This glaze is a perfect match for pork ribs, with its sweet cherry notes. Apply glaze towards the end of the cook to give ribs a sticky, sweet and shiny finish. If you prefer a spicier kick, add in an extra ½ tsp of cayenne powder! This glaze can also be used as syrupy drizzle on other pork dishes, too.
• 1 x 20oz bottle of Big Red soda
• 1 cup ketchup
• 1 tsp garlic powder
• 1 tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• ½ c cider vinegar
• 1.2 c water
• ½ tsp pepper
• 2 tsp salt
• 2 tbsp cherry jam
• 2 tbsp brown sugar
• ½ tsp cayenne
1. Pour Big Red into a small saucepan, and place over low/medium heat to reduce. You want to get the soda down to a syrup, reducing by nearly 6 times. The final amount left in your pan when properly reduced should be approx. 1/2 cup.
2. In another pan, combine all other ingredients over low heat and mix well. Add in reduced Big Red syrup and allow mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
3. Cool slightly, then apply to ribs 15-20 minutes before end of cook time, allowing glaze to set and gel before serving.
4. Store in airtight glass jar for up to one week in the refrigerator.
About Big Red Soda
Big Red Inc. is one of the top 10 beverage companies in North America with a history dating back to 1937. Along with Big Red®, recognized as the number-one selling red soda, Big Red Inc. also markets beverage brands Big Red Zero®, Big Blue®, Big Peach®, Big Pineapple®, NuGrape®, and Nesbitt’s® products. Distributed widely throughout the Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Independent Bottlers and Pepsi Beverages Company, consumers across the country enjoy Big Red Inc.’s beverages. For more information, please visit www.bigred.com.
About Jess Pryles
Jess Pryles is a full-fledged Hardcore Carnivore. She’s a cook, writer, and TV personality specializing in red meat, with penchant for grilling and bourbon. She’s also a respected authority on Texas & competition style barbecue. Born in Australia, she now resides in Austin, Texas.